Wednesday, April 2, 2014

54. Spending Money We Find on the Street

At Purdue, I never get the chance to go shopping. In fact, the last "shopping spree" I went on was probably a quick trip to the local store for another Purduette black cami. So when We did a European Preparation shopping trip with Grandma and Grandpa in Florida, I didn't even know where to start. My usual cheap-clothes-in-an-out  mentality was not going to work for clothes I was going to need to wear every day this semester. With some help from my sisters I made it out with clothes that I used to love, but are now my uniform and will be burned the moment I step foot in Franklin, Indiana. S'mores anyone?

Being away from school and Purduettes for 100 days means a lot more time for shopping trips. However, now instead of having a 2 by 3 foot Theta closet to fill, I have a backpack. That's already packed. So shopping is mostly limited to window shopping and finding stores with makeup and perfume samples - I smell REALLY good right now. If anyone is having a hard time thinking of a birthday gift for me (June 24th) go for the new sent  "Premier Delice " by Anais Anais.


Today, Scarlet and Arden had the best shopping find. As we observe more and more of the European fashion, each of us has decided to develop a new style. Okay, Arden has decided to develop a new style. She is all about overalls and rompers.

Two blocks away from us is the main shopping street of Bordeaux. To the left are the goodwill/ cheap/ might-last-a-week type of shops. To the right are the Armani/ Gucci/ fancy french boutiques. We turned left. The great things about cheap clothes is that they are thin and can fit into our backpacks no problem. Arden found her new uniform, a floral 3.50 euro romper. In fact she put it on as soon as we got home. She's still wearing it right now. Scarlet bought a new shirt that might very well be the most economical purchase of the trip. After spending 5 euros at a time at pastry shops, I was surprised she even stooped to the level of a 1 euro tank top. But she loves it! After my great buy of boots last week. I decided that that find would last me a couple weeks and went for the pastry shop down the street for some authentic cuisine. 

Brody and Dad usually sit these trips out. They opt for finding some fort or manly museum to walk through. Today however, they came along. Brody found a cool figurine store and bought a pirate toy to drag around. It may or may not find its way to the trashcan or out the window at some point...

Other than that, we walked through an art museum, where I learned that Mattise - the guy whose claim to fame was cut out shapes - and Marquet were friends in art school. I also learned that I'll never be okay with long boat rides across the ocean. 

Marquet's painting of BFF Matisse.



 Last night we saw the city all lit up. In the day light we took another trip to Europe's biggest square. Its really just an empty plot of land. But if the powers that be want to claim it as their big square, then that's cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment