Monday, April 21, 2014

72. The Holiday Tradition

When the first Twilight movie came out, opening night was sometime around Christmas Eve. So while most families stayed home, sang carols, watched The Grinch Stole Christmas, or read The Christmas Story, the Friends went out for a night at the cinema. Since then, going to the movies on or around Christmas Eve has become somewhat of a tradition. Today this tradition spread to Easter. Scarlet, Mom, and I all headed to Leicester Square to see Divergent. This wasn't on some whim, I had been planning this since we got on the plane to Europe. I read the book a few years ago and have since been very impatiently awaiting for the movie to be released. Too bad I haven't been in a country that speaks English until now. But the wait was so worth it! Now I'm going to spend the rest of the trip daydreaming about what my life would be like if I were Tris. Then again, I guess I have it a little better than a teenager in an apocalyptic world.



For Easter Sunday we headed out to St. Pauls where we admired everybody's nice clothes and pretended we weren't wearing travel outfits and hiking shoes. It was areally rainy out today, so we spent the afternoon inside browsing TV channels and planning what Museums we could duck into before the movie. The National Gallery won. Here we went around and admired all of the art that doesn't really belong to Great Britain according to Mom. In the National Portrait Gallery we had one mission. To find the portrait of James Scott. On the London Tower tour we were told that After James Scott was beheaded, they realized that no one had ever painted a portrait of him. So they sewed the head back to the body and sat him up for a painting. We were unsuccessful in the time we had before the movie, but Dad, Arden, and Brody headed back to investigate more. I can't work out all the details from Arden but apparently "It wasn't him" that's her explanation. I asked for some elaboration, but this is sometimes the best you get from Arden. So somehow the story was wrong!

We had dinner in the basement of some building that was about as big as my room back home. It was a great cultural experience! We were seated right next to a group of 9 guys who ended up breaking a chair, and had 3 courses that I think were cooked by our waitress. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment