Wednesday, May 7, 2014

84. People Who Lost Bets



On the train station in Berlin, we stepped off the S5 ready to make our way in some direction we hadn’t determined yet. All of a sudden we see a bright green afro standing out from the crowd. Someone had lost a bet. We have seen a lot of bet losers here in Prague. Walking around Wenceslas Square, I saw a group of about 5 guys in black tuxedo shirts, with the leader of the pack wearing a pink one. With pink accessories. 
On the way home through Wenceslas Square, we passed three guys skiing down the sidewalk. In full ski gear. Like a Skiing team. I’m sure now that I’ve noticed it, I’ll start noticing a lot more bet losers. 


Rick Steves has these great audio tours of certain cities, so that was on our to do list for today. An audio tour means we split into groups of two and are let loose in the city. We are supposed to meet up at certain places, but for the most part it’s a free for all, and I’m surprised no one has been stolen. I was the lucky girl who was matched up with Arden. This means we took the long way to each checkpoint and retraced our steps too many times to count. Basically when we had the choice to go right, left, straight, or back where we came from, we would choose the three wrong ways before taking the intended path. All the extra walking gave us an excuse to buy some gelato along the way. We stopped by a Rick recommended spot and I pulled out my monopoly money. I paid in euros, they gave me crowns back. Who knows what the ice cream cost, or if I got the right change? This trip is all about experience right? 


After gawking at some Art Nouveau buildings, finding Ricks random alleys, and a couple u turns, we found a park! Brody, Arden, Scarlet, and Dad got their fill on the teeter totter, and we all watched the other, much younger, kids run around. Our favorite soon became the kid with the whistle. It wasn’t annoying to anyone at all. 

At the end we went to a market where Scarlet was pressured into buying scarves from a street vender, and Brody had to play with every puppet we passed. 

I found another favorite artist at an art museum today, Alfons Mucha. He paints really pretty ladies with swirls all around them. Of course mom pointed out that he was her favorite before mine, so she wins. My other favorite artist is Dalì. He paints random things that melt into other random things that actually have a lot of thought and symbolism, but really there is just so much going on that they are just fun to stare at. 

We ended the day at some cafè type restaurant where we get our food cafeteria style. No one really knew what they were doing, So Arden, Scarlet, and I ended up getting the same meal of schnitzel. I went first though, so I am actually original. The meal was great! I had flashbacks to my PMO trip where schnitzel was every other meal. Honestly, I did not even get tired of it. There was no fighting or bickering at the table. It all went perfectly excluding that little girl who was dancing down the aisle and made me spill some of my coke. 




2 comments:

  1. How do you maintain the pace ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mornings are actually pretty lazy! We give Arden and Scarlet time to do homework, and I use the time to blog, read, and maintain my troops on Clash of Clans, the phone app. Not sure what everyone else is doing, but we are all pretty much glued to our computer screens until we eat lunch and go out to explore.

      Delete