Thursday, May 15, 2014

97. The Old Farts


Sometimes when I'm sitting in class back at Purdue, I think to myself "I should ask more questions in class." Then I realize there is no reason I should take up 30+ peoples time to ask a question that has an answer I can google later. Today I was reminded that while there may not be such thing as a stupid question (questionable), there is such thing as a stupid time to ask said question. You might be wondering how I came to this realization. Today was the first official day of the Zagreb/Dalmation Coast tour with Grandma and Grandpa. To make sure everyone was on the same page, our Program Director called us together for an early morning meeting in the hotel. Here are the quality questions that we had the pleasure of sitting through:

"When we are on the bus, can we see the road from the window, or will it be really steep?"

"Do taxi drivers take US dollars?"

"I haven't read the itinerary, but are we spending time in Athens?" (After we were told about the day we would spend in Athens)

"How much walking is there in Plitvice?" (feel free to take a look at my Plitvice blog where I posted 100000 pictures of our 5 hour walk around the lake)

"So can two buses pass each other on this road?"

But I suppose the age difference between me and most of the people here makes them worry about things that I don't have to. Between the woman who managed to lock herself in the bathroom, the group of ladies who will be called the Golden Girls, and the surprising imbalance between men and women, this trip is shaping up to be highly entertaining. I'm going to need a quote of the day for each blog post.

After we snuck out of the meeting (an hour into it so we didn't feel too bad) we met my parents and family to say goodbye. We all had lunch that morning and Brody smuggled a few small jars of jelly, nuts, and apricots into his coat pockets. With 20 minutes before their train departure they headed to the train station full of everything the hotel buffet had to offer.

Soon after, Scarlet, Grandma, Grandpa, and I left with our tour group to walk the city. Seeing as we have been here for a few days, we had a "been there done that attitude," but the best way to learn is through repetition right? We even went through the Museum of Naive Art again! So we have had the Rick Steves tour, the Rok tour (yeah that is the name of our guide for the next two weeks. He rocks), and a tour from the Naive art major through this museum. Two days ago I didn't know Naive art existed, now I could write a paper, teach a lesson, and tell stories about early 1900's Croatian history.

After everyone made it down the stairs back to the street we put on our "whisperers" - the headphones our tour guides talk into so they don't have to scream all the time. We met a local tour guide who took us around Old town. We went through the miracle bridge where there is a chapel and I feel so rude every time I pass through it while people are trying to pray, but it is a pedestrian walkway so it's not my fault the idolized statue of Mary was placed there.



We stopped at the local market and were given 10 minutes to look around. The Golden Girls were appalled by the fact that only 10 minutes were allotted. What were they going to be able to buy in just 10 minutes? doesn't anyone understand that the female mind must have time to think about, discuss, and debate each item at each shop? Some how they survived and we were off to the next cathedral.




Once we had made it all the way back to the main square, everyone split up and Scarlet and I went on a shopping spree with Grandma and Grandpa.Grandpa had packed some fancy clothes for us to enjoy on the cruise, but Scarlet has decided to grow a few feet, so her outfit from home was no where near appropriate length anymore. After hitting all of the main shops and 3 hours of scrutinizing thousands of articles of clothing, we made it out with just two dresses.

At this point in the day the weather was just horrid. We stopped in to the nearest coffee shop for some hot drinks before heading back to the hotel. This is my second time ordering hot chocolate in Zagreb. I don't think they know what hot chocolate is. Today's White Hot Chocolate was more like Marshmallow Paste in a Cup.

We had some time to dry off before heading to dinner where I ordered the smallest meal I've ever ordered at a restaurant. Scarlet and I got the soup with homemade noodles and it was the absolute best noodle soup I have ever tasted in my entire life. Most of the time, I am a fettuccine alfredo girl and it takes a lot for me to look elsewhere on a menu, but boy am I glad I did. This trip really has taught me to try new things.

 Part of being considered an adult on this trip means Scarlet and I have to plan out all of our free time. So I'm off to consult with my friend Rick Steves to figure out what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment