Tuesday, March 11, 2014

32. This is Art?

Sometimes I look at art and think to myself "Yeah that's pretty, I couldn't do it, and I appreciate it"  Most of the time I really don't know why paintings are considered good, or innovative, but I can understand that these artists are talented. This was not the case with the Matisse Museum. Matisse was like the Kardashian of his day. Why are these pieces so famous?? Here are two examples of his revolutionary work.




I'm pretty sure I created plenty of art like this during art time in Mrs. Parker's Kindergarten class. Where is the museum dedicated to my work?? What is most interesting about this guy is that he could, in fact, paint. There was a handful of pieces that were legitimate, yet cutting out unsymmetrical hearts and shapes that resembled seaweed is what he dedicated most of his time to.  And when he wasn't busy with that, he was halfmaking sculptures. Once they took to the shape of what might be a person, all work stopped. 

Art.

Today we explored modern art. I'll just be frank, it was weird stuff. I liked it because you never knew what you'd see next. We walked from room to room, sometimes reading up on the artists, but most of the time simply scratching our heads and wondering what types of drugs these people were on. We saw everything from huge black canvases with a single word written in the middle to entire cars smashed flat against the walls. Here are some classics:

Real bird wings.


At first we thought that this was just a mannequin painted with hands. No its a mannequin full of mannequin hands. For some reason that makes it another level of creepy. 


This painting actually looks pretty neat. Here is how it was made: A few ladies came into a studio, got naked, dowsed themselves with paint, laid on the canvas, and were dragged across to give a mermaid effect. At the bottom you can see where they hung up the canvas and just slammed themselves into it.


This is Bens Box.



This is what he puts in his box.


I wasn't sure what was going on in this sculpture until Arden's sadistic mind laid it out for me. This tells the story of a zombie apocalypse. In order for the paper people to acquire world domination they are taking innocent humans - in this scene bottom right hand corner - and turning them into one of their own. Extra body pieces are stored in the tube to the left.


More self entertainment - for full description of self entertainment see yesterday's blog.

There were plenty others, but these were my favorite. At the top of the modern art museum we got a pretty great view of the Nice. Shout out to my models - Scarlet and Dad.

Then, as Brody would say, we came home, ate tacos and went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment