Friday, March 14, 2014

35. Table Talk

In the Purduettes, we have rules about table talk. A week before school starts, all of the Purduettes go to Camp Tecumseh to learn the ropes of the group. There is an entire night dedicated solely to teaching us about table manners. We listen to a lecture, are given handouts, and have more discussions with just us girls about how to behave at dinners with important people. There are rules about napkin placement, silverware use, how to hold your cup, when to get up, when to start eating, when to stop, how fast to eat, what to talk about, who to talk to, when to talk, etc. After all of this training, I can confidently say that neither of my sisters would ever survive as a Purduette.

When we aren't walking around a city, we are usually lounging around the house. The girls have schoolwork, Brody watches Ellen, Mom and Dad work on planning more of the trip, and I think up blog topics for my faithful followers. Dinner is one of the only times we have where all of the electronics go away and we actually talk to each other. And by talk to each other, I mean pick on each other. Tonight started with picking on Brenna. We began talking about this summer, Scarlet once again brought up the fact that I have nothing planned as far as a job and I'm going to be living at home with my parents for the rest of my life. Then Arden feed's off of this.

"You'll never move out."

"You might get married at 40 if you're lucky."

"Neither of you are going to be my maid of honor."

"If you want to wear mom's dress, you'll have to take it out somehow."

Then mom chimes in:

"We are encouraging you all to elope."

"Can I make a slideshow about all the embarrassing things you all did as children?!"

"Brenna, you came up with some really unique hairstyles..."

"Scarlet, you tried to wear all your clothes at one time. Every day."

It's never ending.

Brody spends most of dinner misquoting funny YouTube videos. It makes dad laugh every time.


We spent today visiting 5 cathedrals. The Russian Cathedral was number 33 of the entire trip. Needless to say, they are all starting to run together. I think I've seen about 300 versions of "Madonna with child," and have committed the stations of the cross to memory. So when it was announced that we would be spending the rest of the afternoon on the beach, all the kids rejoiced. Here's the French Riviera sand...





No comments:

Post a Comment