Sunday, February 23, 2014

15. There is a Reason I'm Not an Art Major

There are 16 Churches and 10 Museums in Venice. My parents are determined to hit every single one of them. Today we went to 3 Churches and 1 museum. Our first church was Santa Maria del Giglio. The guy who donated money to build it had a statue made of himself that was placed on the facade of the church after his death. There are also statues of his four brothers. I'd say it's more like a glorified memorial for his family.



We stopped for some Italian pizza at lunch time. We got the classic margarita pizza, but also ventured out for bacon and egg pizza, and sausage with some leaf pizza. 


They said they had free wifi. I couldn't find it.


 Here we are inside a museum learning about Venetian artifacts (or at least pretending to... this part was largely in Italian) while the Carnivale is in full swing outside!


The museum we were in was once a palace used for a total of 4 years or so. An entire palace built just for important visitors. Only used for four years. Our next church was  Campo San Vidal , followed by Santo Stefano, then San Giavanni Elemosinario. All of these had important pieces of original art. And they didn't look any more special than the pieces around them. None of the churches allowed picture taking, but I secretly took the next two as an example. Which of the following paintings looks most important?


Bottom left corner. Why? That's a question for an art major. I have no idea.


1 comment:

  1. Stumbled across your blog and I have to say that I am very jealous of your travels. I enjoyed reading your posts, thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete